Expert advice for working with fashion influencers on Instagram
Last week I launched a new InstaLive series called The Fashion Heads, and will be interviewing fashion Instagram experts, editors and fashion influencers on the latest trends, insights and tricks of the trade.
This week we were talking about working with influencers on Instagram.
My first ‘in-conversation’ was with Zoe, the founder of The London Influence, discussing how to work with fashion influencers on Instagram. The London Influence is a leader in fashion influencer events, influencer trips and brand collaborations, working with leading influencers such as Kat, Does My Bum Look 40, and Pascale, Style-Mum.
I brought my fashion PR and Instagram fashion influencer expertise to the conversation.
We’ve shared our key insights from the conversation below to help you up your fashion influencer game and boost your business.
I hope you enjoy – lots of love Marie Louise xx
Top tips from Zoe founder of The London Influence
- Create your own brand identity: Fashion influencing on Instagram is a very saturated market now. It’s important to create your own brand identity. Create your signature look so you are known for something specific such as great dresses, a high fashion magazine aesthetic, or a great sense of humour.
- Find your fashion tribe on Instagram: From the #stylemums, #femalefounder business women to the #over40 and high street fashion influencers. Follow the right accounts, start engaging and become part of the community. See below group of 40+ fashion influencers at a charity lunch meet up
- Don’t pester fashion PRs or brands: When approaching fashion PRs, brands and influencers, introduce yourself via direct messaging on Instagram or email. If you don’t hear back, try again and if still no joy, it’s best to leave it. Don’t pester and don’t share your rate card immediately. It’s about building relationships. Try and get a coffee in and obviously make sure you follow the fashion brand on Instagram.
- Don’t spam tag your Instagram posts to get noticed!
- Think about what success looks like to the brand/influencer you want to work with: It could be more sales, more followers or beautiful content they can share to their audience. Create your own case-studies from past work to share with them to get them to consider working with you.
Top tips from Marie Louise founder of MLPR + @MrsMLMode
- Identify your top 20 Instagram influencers and create a group of ambassadors with followers that match your target customer. Tip – check out who your competitors are working with.
- Ask to see media packs and case studies: If you have a budget, ask to see their media packs and case-studies of brands they have worked with. Always look at their audience demographic. For example the bigger bloggers will have a global audience and if you only sell to the UK, this will be a waste of your time.
- If you only have a budget for gifting, you need to be respectful with your approach: Instagram Fashion Influencers tend to accept gifts if they love the brand however, creating strong content is an art form and takes time, and there is no guarantee unless you have a contract with a budget.
- Don’t be afraid to reach out and ask for help from influencers you have worked with in the past – especially during this difficult time. If you are running special offers, you can ask for support on their stories.
- Invest in your Instagram channel: Instagram is free to use and the only cost is time. Train your team on how best to use this powerful channel. It really can grow your business!
Influencer Instagram Training
Learn how working with fashion influencers on Instagram can boost your business
Marie Louise, Founder of MLPR and fashion influencer @MrsMLMode, specialises in Instagram training for fashion brands.
During the Covid pandemic Marie Louise is holding Instagram training via Zoom for small groups as well as individual bespoke programmes.
For more details on Instagram training for all brands including fashion businesses click here.
Hope you have enjoyed!
To find out more information about the InstaLive series The Fashion Heads follow MrsMLMode on Instagram.